Must-Dos: Find the 10th century stones, find the memorial to W. Shakespeare, drink tea.
Inside the noisy heart of London but away from the trendies of Borough market, the tourist mayhem and the suits of the city, touch-down in this modern cafe with quaint touches such as hand painted tea pots and mediocre paintings on sale for in excess of 1000 pounds. We had three home cooked cakes here, the best of which was a delicious honey, and walnut and the tea was superb.
- Oldest Gothic church in London
- Directly outside the trendy Borough Market, neighbour to The Shard
- The church has Pre-Norman origins
- Referenced to in the Domesday book, but has Saxon origins
- Massive bonfire in 1212
- Chapel dedicated to Mary Magdalen
- During the reign of Queen Mary heresy trials were held in the retrochoir
- Shakespearian family stories
- In January 1555 the Bishop of Gloucester was condemned to death here - a naughty man he was
- It was from the tower of St Saviour's that the Czech artist Wenceslas Hollar drew his Long View of London from Bankside in 1647, a panorama which has become a definitive image of the city in the 17th century.
- Considered for demolition in 1852 in favour of railway route, thankfully a full eighteen metres from the southeast corner.
- Only a cathedral since 1905
- TV: wedding scenes in the film The Slipper and the Rose (1976). Parts also used in the filming of the Doctor Who episode "The Lazarus Experiment"
- The entrance to The City Of London
- Renamed to St Savioirs by Henry VII
- James 1st bought the chirch for 800 pounds
- Incredible gargolye of a demon eating an unfortunate young lady.
- large stained glass window dedicated to William Shakespeare
- alabaster statue representing WS reclining
- Monuments to: Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu, Isabella Gilmore and the victims of the Marchioness disaster
- hosted a twentieth-anniversary service for the Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement
- Diamond Jubalee stained glass windows
- John Harvard has been honoured by the dedication of the Harvard Chapel.
- stained glass window showing St John baptizing Christ
- Memorial to the Marchioness disaster
- St Alfege - but moved to Grenwich
- 15th-century poet John Gower - poet to Richard II and Henry IV and a close friend of Geoffrey Chaucer.
- 1275 timber effigy of a knights
- William Shakespeare's brother, Edmund, was buried here in 1607. His grave is unmarked.
- Lancelot Andrewes, part-author of the Authorised Version, who died in 1626, was buried in a small chapel at the east end that afterwards became known as the "Bishop's Chapel".
- The St Savioirs pre-Norman church has been heavily built on top of - now mostly featuring Gothic styles
- Oldest stones that you can walk on date to the 1100's
- 13th-century arcading
- Two Norman doorways
- Original church possibly pre-800AD; witnesses now quite hard to come by
- Roman roads on show